So this morning I wanted to make a yummy summer dessert that is traditional in Denmark. We usually make it with all kinds of berries, or even Rhubarb.
This one I made with fresh Strawberries. It is by far one of my children’s favorite summer treats…They have named it “Strawberry Soul” lol!
It’s incredibly easy to make and is just the perfect treat or dessert to serve during these long summer months.
The ingredients are simple, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon, vanilla and almond extracts (although I don’t always add these)…and than sugar and cream for your toppings.
Jordbærgrød is served cold, with a drizzle (or more) of heavy cream on top with a sprinkle of sugar for sweetness. If you like peaches and cream you will love this Danish “Pudding” of such.
(Danish Strawberry Porridge )
◦ 2 lbs strawberries
◦ 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
◦ 1 quart water (reserve 1/2 cup)
◦ 1/2 cup cornstarch
◦ 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh only, please)
◦ 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
◦ 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
◦ 1/2 cup water
• To serve
◦ cold heavy cream or half/half
- Hull and rinse berries. Add to water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add sugar and simmer until berries are tender, 10-15 minutes (depending on size of berries). Lower heat to medium-low.
- Dissolve cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla and almond extracts in reserved 1/2 cup water, and add to berries and sugar. Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and allow pudding to boil a few minutes until thickened. Ladle into large or individual serving bowls, than let cool.
- To Serve: Sprinkle with sugar and serve with cold, heavy cream……Note: I “dump” the sugar on it! I like mine Sweeeeeeeet! 🙂
also this is better the next day! Store fridge….so yum!